6. Do you like helping people? You need to be here to help others. I've seen some blogs that were started simply to promote a business, and those blogs seem to fail, because the blogger sees blogging as marketing and her heart isn't in it. Okay there are plenty of celebrities that self-promote and they are successful, but that works only for rock stars.
7. Why will someone want to come to your blog? If you are just writing a laundry list of what you did that day, and what you ate, you probably won't see many readers. You need to tell a story, one that people want to hear, and you need to post helpful information. Readers want content that is fun or interesting or better yet both. In my opinion, the best blogs are the ones that inform us, inspire and entertain us. And if I feel like I know the writer... even better. I don't want to feel like I am reading a corporate report. Let us know who you are.
8. Do you just want a place to write your thoughts or do you want grow your audience? If you don't care how many readers you have, then you can write about anything, post as little as you want, have no photos, misspell every other
9. Are you comfortable with computers and software? You don't need to know much, but it definitely comes in helpful at times. If your blog is a blogspot blog, you can get by knowing very little. If you are using Wordpress, you'll need to know much more. Computer knowledge required for blogging is minimal, but helpful.
10. Are you prepared to write several posts a week? If you don't have new content often (at least once a week and hopefully more) people will forget about you. I know bloggers who have stepped away from their blogs, and readers move on quickly. My friend Yvonne from Stone Gable stepped away from her blog for months. I think she lost a lot of readers at the time, but because of her incredible talent, she was able to get back where she was rather quickly, but that is unusual and a credit to her talent.
Would you like to receive a preview of my posts in your inbox? Subscribe below.
Here's a list of the parties that I visit on a regular basis. I might have shared this link at any number of these.